4 April 2016
In accordance with Council’s Code of Meeting Practice , this section of the agenda will be chaired by Cr Tapscott.
9.7 Naming of new library at Tura Beach - Additional information................................................. 4
6 April 2016
In accordance with Council’s Code of Meeting Practice (2011), this section of the agenda will be chaired by Cr Tapscott.
9.7 Naming of new library at Tura Beach - Additional information........................... 4
Council 6 April 2016
Following community engagement, suggestions were received for names for the new Library and Community facility at Tura Beach. Additional Information is now provided.
Group Manager Community, Relations and Leisure
Community Relations and Leisure Report Item No 9.3 – Naming of new library at Tura Beach formed part of the Council Meeting Agenda for the 6 April 2016 meeting referred to an attachment that was not included.
The list of all names from community consultation are provided below for the information of the Council and the community.
List of suggested names for the Library and Community Centre at Tura
· This is your community library (this suggestion came from a 7 year old)
· Vicki Wotton Memorial Library and Community Centre
· David Wood Memorial Community Library
· Sapphire Coast Community Library
· Budginbro Library and Community Centre – Budginbro was the Aboriginal guide who showed early settlers the South east region, particularly the ancient Aboriginal pathway from Twofold Bay to the Snowy Mountains - now known as the Bundian Way.
· Tura 'Marrang' Library and Community Centre – Marrang, the Aboriginal word for beach/sand
· Kaartdijin Multimedia Community Library - the Aboriginal word for knowledge.
· Tura and Merimbula Community Library
· Tasman Library and Community Centre – all the locations (Merimbula, Pambula and Tura etc) all look out to the Tasman Sea
· Sapphire Waters Community Library – Tura
· Tura Library and Community Centre
· Blue Sapphire Library
· Olga Masters Community Library
· Tunity – Come and enjoy the warmth of the Tura Community at Tunity
· The Latte Library
· Bournda Read Community Library
· Sapphire Community Library
· A name as near as possible to the Aboriginal meaning of Tura and its natural bushland
· Tathra Peoples Community Library
· ARUT (no explanation provided)
· Merimbula Community Library
· Wugongga Community Library -Wugongga meaning blue water
For full information on the proposed name please read Report No 9.3 available on Council’s Website – Council Agenda 6 April 2016:
1. That the report be noted.